Monday, April 19, 2010

Despedidas Pt. 1

Despedidas means something like "farewells" but we also use it to describe the going away parties and get togethers that occur in the last weeks and days of someone´s (mine) days in town. That´s right. I´m heading home soon. Here´s the beginnings of my despedidas:

Last Friday we three interns looked pretty funny next to each other, so we took this picture. Kim we labeled as chic New Yorker (surprise!), Kelly labeled me as straight out of "Dr. Quinn Medecine Woman" (which I took as a compliment of course), and Kelly is wearing a traditional Q´eqchi´ traje.
There was a mariachi band at Tacontento, one of my favorite restaurants. I pretty much want to be these guys.
A lake named Calderas below the summit of Pacaya. Volcan Pacaya is sort of a tourism must-do here in Guate, and I hadn´t yet done it. We finally got er´done on Saturday.
Walking up towards the lava through the descending fog.
We brought up that stick to roast marshmallows over the lava.
We thought it looked like "Lost" on Pacaya. This picture barely captures that. Also, Kim is a balla.

We´re risky.
Somedays there´s a river of lava on the mountain. Somedays there´s none. This particular day, there was a couple pockets. It was much more impressive than you may think.

This is pretty much how it looked when we were walking down the mountain. There´s two Brits in this picture. See em´?
Every Sunday after morning church I go to lunch with these ladies. I call it my "Over 50 Club." It´s a long story as to how I got included, but it´s been one of the best, most surprising friend groups I´ve ever had.

1 comment:

  1. Two things: one, thank you for saving Middle Earth. I'm assuming the British folks you met were from the Shire. Two, you DO look like something out of old timey TV. Maybe "Newsies." Yeah, I can see you walking around NYC singing about how you want to move out west, if only mean ol' Mr. Pulitzer would let you.

    ReplyDelete