Monday, April 19, 2010

A bit of wisdom

Here´s this poem by Rilke that´s been up at my desk since January. Don´t know if I´ve posted it already, but it´s worth a repost de todas maneras.

I am, you anxious one.

Don´t you sense me, ready to break
into being at your touch?
My murmurings surround you like shadowy wings.
Can´t you see me standing before you
Cloaked in stillness?
Hasn´t my longing ripened in you from the beginning
as fruit ripens on a branch?

I am the dream you are dreaming
When you want to awaken, I am that wanting:
I grow strong in the beauty you behold.
And with the silence of stars I enfold
your cities made by time.

---
Also, I´ve had this verse (my favorite) up:

"Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." Philippians 3:12-14
---
Finally, while in Antigua this past Saturday, Kim and I ate at La Fonda de la Calle Real. They´ve got great Guatemalan food and dichos, or sayings, painted all over the place. This one must have been put up for me at just the right moment. Definitely a lesson learned over the last several months:

4 comments:

  1. If you like Rilke (and who doesn't?) then I highly recommend looking into the works of Hölderlin and Trakl, also phenomenally good german poets, though their language doesn't have that same fluid lightness which Rilke alone seems to possess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well thanks, tracktastic. i´ll check that out. but... who are you?

    ReplyDelete