Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Western Highlands

So last Friday I went with a paralegal (Beatriz) and a social worker (Delmi) from our staff to Quetzaltenango, otherwise known as Xela, to meet with a client at the children´s home where she is staying. Xela is a small-feeling (though it´s the second-largest city in the country) city 3.5 hours westward into the mountains, with a lot more Mayan presence than the capital. We worked for most of the day, and had to spend the night because we worked so late. We went out with Beatriz´s friends to a classy french restaurant where gypsy jazz/cuban jazz group (they were great!) played the night away. It was a really good time. The next morning, I caught a chicken bus to the mountain town of Almolonga twenty minutes away for one of the biggest fruit and vegetable markets in Latin America. I was soaking wet with culture. Here are the pictures.

Shenni, me, Beatriz, Lilian, Delmi
The central park in Xela.

Get your fungicide right here in the corner store.
I sort of wanna live here.
Farms amongst houses amongst businesses amongst schools and churches. Sometimes not planning leads to great planning?
Taking a break.
The market.
The bulk room.
Cauliflower.
It was all Mayan, all the time in Almolonga.
The Almolonga church.
Gente apretada.



Here´s a video of the market. Take note of leaf-on-the-head lady towards the end.

4 comments:

  1. ditto that. leaf-on-the-head-lady, i aspire to be like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David-
    Hello, my name is Elise and I am a friend of Tyler Harnett's. I lived in Guatemala for a month this past summer as I had a nursing externship there... I was very encouraged to read your blog. Many of your experiences & frustrations with cultural differences & lack of governmental support were VERY similar to some my own. I just wanted to send you a word of encouragement though... while the work you are doing in Guatemala may feel insignificant, what you are selflessly doing for those precious people is INCREDIBLY significant. As a health professional who often cared for the women & children of Guatemala who suffer abuse, I cannot thank you enough for the work you are doing. I am greatly encouraged that others have the same heart & passion for the people & country of Guatemala. Know that you will be in my thoughts & prayers.
    I have some friends in Guatemala City that perhaps I could get you in contact with... they are amazing people who would open their home to ANYONE. I am excited to follow your blog & see the great adventures the Lord has in store for you. ¡Cuidados!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey david, i just found your blog via FB - what an adventure you're on! i love the pictures and your stories about the people and places you're experiencing. if you have prayer requests and can post them, please do! go with God!

    ReplyDelete